Scipad as an UTF-8 encoded file editor under non-UTF locale ?

François Vogel fvogelnew1 at free.fr
Sun Dec 14 16:04:53 CET 2008

Yung-Jang Lee said on 14/12/2008 15:16:
> Francois,
>
> As a user of Scipad, I find needs for editing UTF-8 encoded XML
> files(for chinese online help) on system with non-utf locale (Windows Xp
> with code page 950).
>
> Do you think it is possible to add this capability to  recognize
> encoding in XML files with  Scipad ? And if we can switch Scipad as an
> utf8 encoded text file editor is even better for someone like me.
>
> Yung-Jang Lee

Hi,

First of all, let's switch this starting discussion on the dev list if
you don't mind. I'd like to keep things as much open as possible. I
think you're subscribed to this list?

Second, if I understand correctly what you want, it's really very
easy. I have coded a first straightforward try in less than 10
minutes. It's so easy that I'm wondering if I have understood what's
your goal.

So could you provide me with a simple test case, a use case of yours,
a typical file you want to edit in utf-8 in Scipad, and anything else
you think is useful for me to figure out more precisely what you want?

I would then check that my naive alpha implementation really fits this
need.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Francois