[Scilab-Dev] Scicos-PST

Simone Mannori Simone.Mannori at inria.fr
Fri Feb 1 07:41:07 CET 2008

Bonjour Raymundo,

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 16:00 -0500, Cordero R. wrote:
> Dear Simone
> At the moment, I also am working in the proyect about symbolic
> computation (difficult but interesting),
> However, motor control and modeling is part of my thesis and a
> previous research work, so this is something I will do.
> Now, I have a technical question.

At last ;) I like technical question :).

>  I could make Scicos models using super block, but I would prefer to
> make new blocks using C/C++.

... and it is the best option ...

> But I have problems because in my computer I don´t have a C compiler.

If you want to do serious development with Scilab/Scicos would suggest
you to switch to Linux. Linux has A LOT of advantages for the
developers. The default "gcc" compiler is one of the most important.

Scilab/Scicos is born in Unix, grow in Linux and ported to Windows and
Mac OSX.

I have done some development also using Windows but is just a bit more
tricky for the missing default C compiler.
My suggested solution for Scicos development under Windows it is to
install Scilab 4.1.2 binary version and the free (free as "free beer")
Visual Studio Express 2005. You need to install manually some packages
and patch some files.
Microsoft has prepared some usable help pages ...

Start from here:
http://wiki.scilab.org/Visual_Studio_C%2B%2B_2005_Express

then go here

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/aa700755.aspx

for a detailed explanation of the "hack"

After the installation you will able to compile Scicos block
computational functions.

BEWARE: with this set up you will not able to compile the full Scicos,
but if you are interest mainly to Scicos, this is not a big limitation.

The C compiler is useful (and necessary) for Modelica.

How to write good and efficient Scicos computational functions will be
the subject of the next email :).

Simone Mannori - Scilab/Scicos Embedded Applications Eng.