[Scilab-Dev] Localization behavior

Vincent COUVERT vincent.couvert at inria.fr
Mon Feb 4 14:36:34 CET 2008

Hello,

As a Scilab user, the behavior I would have for Scilab is :
 - if I do not precise the locale I want to use: Scilab uses the default
locale of my system
 - if I do not want to use the locale of my system, I precise in a
Scilab configuration file which locale I want to use

We have to remember that the locale settings must be read before Scilab
GUIs are created but after all Scilab functions are loaded (to have
access to localization functions).

Vincent

Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> We are thinking about how the localization should be handle in Scilab.
>
> At the moment, when Scilab is launched, each time, we are loading the
> locale of the system and if we have the matching translation, we load
> it. Otherwise, we switch back to english.
> This behaviour is the standard one under Linux but we might want the
> user to keep his favorite language when he starts Scilab.
>
> We have one potential solution :
>
> Under Windows, on the installation, the user choose his language and we
> save it in the configuration (registry base).
>
> Under Linux, we detect it each time the user starts Scilab which
> language is the default one on the system.
> However, by calling the function setdefaultlanguage("xx_XX"), we are
> saving the language he wants into the Scilab configuration file.
>
> How does it sound ?
> Cheers,
> Sylvestre

Vincent COUVERT
Centre de Recherche INRIA Paris-Rocquencourt
Domaine de Voluceau - B.P. 105
78153 Le Chesnay Cedex
Equipe Projet SCILAB
Bâtiment 1B - Bureau 013