[Scilab-Dev] Tcl and Scilab Event loop

François Vogel fvogelnew1 at free.fr
Mon Jan 28 20:39:34 CET 2008

Bruno JOFRET said on 28/01/2008 17:06:
> The version on the trunk is of course not a final one !

How the hell can I know that?

You ask for comments, you receive comments, following that I observe
the commits and see some activity around the Tcl topic, then nothing
for a week or so. How am I supposed to discover you were on holidays,
with a better version in your laptop?

> We are taking into account your pre requirements (bug 2514 and 2640) and
> of course your previous mail.

Good news.
 From what I could see so far you could have overlooked our feedback.I
  could never read an answer to our emails in which I had asked many
questions about what you intend to do. This does not help in receiving
further feedback later.

> It seems you kindly propose to test the first improvements, or I may
> misunderstood...

I have proposed it clearly before.
My email dated 11/01/08 ends with "I look forward to being able to
test it. I guess most of my comments above could be easier discussed
against some reference implementation made available in trunk.". Don't
know how to tell it clearer.

> Did you ever take some time to try our *"wonderful solution"* or did you
> give up ???

I did, for sure. And for free, remember. I did almost every day when
(from the commit logs) that day showed some activity on the topic.

Result: could never make anything work in the debugger, not a single
test case.

You want a random test case? OK, here is an oversimplified one:

Type or paste this in Scipad:

function foo
disp("first")
disp("second")
disp("third")
endfunction

Place a breakpoint (F9) on line containing disp("second") then
configure the debug (F10, click OK). And hit F11.

What should happen (and it happens in Scilab 4.1.2 with the same
version of Scipad) is that function foo gets executed with execution
stopping at the breakpointed line, this line gets highlighted, the
cursor doesn't keep on being the busy cursor, and so on.

You can easily check that this doesn't happen because on the Scilab
shell you should see (copy/pasted from Scilab 4.1.2):

  first
Stop after row     2 in function foo :

-->

For me this is broken (and always was in trunk since the beginning of
the java console in Scilab). Nothing moves in the Scilab shell.

Once the above case will be working, then you'll have a good piece done.
And we can then try step by step, run to cursor, break and other
debugger commands, watch variables and expressions, change them during
debug and a few other funny things perfectly working in the 4.x
environment.

> To crowed it all :
> - If you were waiting my "go" to play with the solution, you can do it

As said, I did before many times. No point in doing the same thing
once more with the same version of your changes.

> - For what concerns the *"wonderful solution"*, I apologize not being a
> wizard and go ahead
> working on those threads and wait you test my first step.

Done. I misunderstood you. Since nothing was working I couldn't think
you were waiting for me, I rather thought you had given up.

> - Each time I will make a step further to the "final solution" I'll post
> on this ML exactly as I did last time.

Perfect. Next time you'll ask for feedback I'll wait a couple of weeks
plus a reminder from you before answering.

> Have a nice day.

Have a nice night.

Francois