Localization behavior

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre.ledru at inria.fr
Wed Jan 30 11:44:56 CET 2008

Hello,

We are thinking about how the localization should be handle in Scilab.

At the moment, when Scilab is launched, each time, we are loading the
locale of the system and if we have the matching translation, we load
it. Otherwise, we switch back to english.
This behaviour is the standard one under Linux but we might want the
user to keep his favorite language when he starts Scilab.

We have one potential solution :

Under Windows, on the installation, the user choose his language and we
save it in the configuration (registry base).

Under Linux, we detect it each time the user starts Scilab which
language is the default one on the system.
However, by calling the function setdefaultlanguage("xx_XX"), we are
saving the language he wants into the Scilab configuration file.

How does it sound ?
Cheers,