[Scilab-Dev] Test report of Chinese (or multibytes languages in general) locale mesages with Scilab 5-beta-1

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre.ledru at inria.fr
Wed Jun 4 15:38:26 CEST 2008

[...]

> This is just a small patch to test locale to utf encoding concept, it
> need further enhancement.
It doesn't work under Linux. I have the opposite as you (cf screenshot).
I still don't understand the need to go with iconv... Especially when it
is working with zh_TW.UTF-8 as locale.
Your solution has also the problem that it probably won't work with
other charset from thailand, burma or mongolia for example.

> I have two questions. First , in my  chinese Java console , the menu
> items are disabled ( unlike your Linux case)  is  this  a  bug under
> Windows ?
The creation of the menu is done with Scilab scripts. Until all the
macros have been loaded, they are disabled (because we don't want the
user to use it until everything is loaded).
Once it is done, we activate them (with their name) and as they are
localized, if the initial string used in the creation is not the same in
the activation, it doesn't work. (Vincent, correct me if I am wrong).
Obviously, it is a bug (maybe a function which is lost because of the
asian symbol).