[Scilab-Dev] Test report of Chinese (or multibytes languages in general) locale mesages with Scilab 5-beta-1

Yung-Jang Lee yjlee123 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 17:36:15 CEST 2008

Sylvestre,

Enclosed is my small patch for Java console to display chinese characters
and the result PNG screenshot.

The test in under Windows XP, with BIG5 encoding (Windows CodePage 950).

This test confirm that it need a locale to utf-8 convert before send string
to Java console for locale not compatible with  UNICODE.

The patch contains following files

   1.    localization\src\c :   localetoutf.h,  localetoutf.c
          provide functions
       void localeToUTF(char** buffer) <--- doing locale to utf convert
       openLocaleToUTFConverter(char *sysLocale,char *lang) <--- open or
   close converter
           This two functions calls functions from iconv library which is
   contained in Scilab5  prerequreiment.

   2. localization\src\c :   setlanguage.c,
    add a line to call openLocaleToUTFConverter ,

   3. localization\src\c :  getLocaleInfo_Windows.c,
   modified return value of getLocaleUserInfo in lang_contry.codepage format
   t,codepage  information is used inside openLocaleToUTFConverter

   4. console\src\cpp: consolePrint.c :
   add a line to call localeToUTF

This is just a small patch to test locale to utf encoding concept, it need
further enhancement.

I have two questions. First , in my  chinese Java console , the menu items
are disabled ( unlike your Linux case)  is  this  a  bug under Windows ?
Second, menu items are displayed in chinese under Linux but in english
under Windows, what make them different ?

YungLee