Numbering of the Scilab libraries

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre.ledru at inria.fr
Thu Mar 6 16:13:21 CET 2008

Hello,

Just to let you know that I added a version number on linux/unix/macosx
libraries.
This will simplify life of people who would like to us Scilab as an
API / computing engine.

At the moment, I use 5.0.0 as a global version but if Scilab is used
more and more as an engine, we might procuded versioning per libraries.
[1]

You will find more information on:
http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html#Versioning

And the trick is to give to the linker the option:
-version-info (see [2]).

Sylvestre

[1] here is a great ASCII art showing how does it work:
#GENERIC_LIBRARY_VERSION=1:2:0
#                       | | |
#                +------+ | +---+
#                |        |     |
#             current:revision:age
#                |        |     |
#                |        |     +- increment if interfaces have been
added
#                |        |        set to zero if interfaces have been
removed
#                                  or changed
#                |        +- increment if source code has changed
#                |           set to zero if current is incremented
#                +- increment if interfaces have been added, removed or
changed

[2] An example of the change
http://viewvc.scilab.org/bin/cgi/viewvc.cgi/trunk/scilab/modules/fftw/Makefile.am?limit_changes=100&r1=23248&r2=23395