and idea for the development of Scipad

Torbjørn Pettersen torbjorn.pettersen at broadpark.no
Tue Oct 14 16:04:55 CEST 2008

François Vogel skrev:
> Hi all,
>
> After having discussed Torbjørn's proposal first on the dev list, we
> followed up off the dev list and Torbjørn sent me a piece of code to
> begin integration with Scipad.
>
> Now is time to sum it all up I think.

> I started from the code you provided. I have now a working solution
> but I didn't commit yet because of licensing issues (see details below).
>
> For your information I modified what you sent me in the following ways:
>
> 1. Changed the shortcut in the file menu since letter c is already
> used for the Close command. I selected letter d since actually there
> is no other choice left in that menu.
>
> 2. Updated localization for the French language.
Is this related to the help_from_sci code or just the Scipad menu option?

> 3. Factorized proc helpskeleton and proc helpfromsci into a common
> proc createhelpfile {whatkind}
>

> 4. About making this work with files located anywhere on the disk, and
> even files not yet saved.
> As said in previous emails, this can indeed be done and I have an
> implementation for this.
> However, this implementation required non negligible gymnastics to
> make everything transparent to the user and not letting a temporary
> leftover file on disk.
> Nevertheless, I think it's now working and reasonably clean.
>

> Now the real issue I see:
>
> 5. I have placed help_from_sci.sci in SCI/modules/helptools/macros and
> the corresponding help file in SCI/modules/helptools/help/en_US
> I really believe this function belongs to the help module rather than
> to the Scipad module.
>
> However, this poses a problem with respect to the license. You have
> selected GPL for your files, but the help module is licensed under the
> Cecill license. I don't know whether it's possible to add a GPL'ed
> macro inside a Cecill module.
>
> ----> *Opteam, please advise on this.*
>
> Fallback solution #1: I could integrate your help_from_sci.* files in
> the Scipad module, which is GPL. But as said above I really think that
> functionally speaking they belong to the help module.
>
> Fallback solution #2: Would you be willing to change the license of
> your files to the Cecill license?
I see no problem in changing the license for help_from_sci to the Cecill
license. Sounds like that is the easiest solution for everyone.

> Side note: since your function help_from_sci is going to be integrated
> in Scilab itself, I think removing it from your toolbox would be good.
Agree.
Actually I'm working on a revised version of the toolbox (toolbox_tools)
which has made me add an additional feature to help_from_sci().
It can now generate .dem.sce files based on the code from the Examples
section in the head_comments section of the .sci source file.
In short:
    help_from_sci('fun_source.sci','helpdir','demosdir')
will generate helpdir/fun_source.xml as before, and will also generate
demosdir\fun_source.dem.sce based on the
Examples section in the head_comments of the fun_source.sci.

The new version should not affect your implementation, since nothing is
changed if you omit the third input parameter (demosdir).

> Currently I think the only remaining issue before committing in trunk
> is the license. For this I need your comments and the opteam statement
> as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Francois

Best regards,