Launching scilab from Emacs

Vincent Belaïche vincent.belaiche at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 20:52:50 CEST 2008

Bonjour,

I am new to this list. I was invited by Sylvestre to switch some thread
started on the Scilab newsgroup onto this list.

I am trying to use A. Vigodner's (Author: Alexander Vigodner
<avigodner at bloomberg.com>>) Emacs extension to use Emacs as a front end
for Scilab.

I have modified scilab.el already with the following things:

1) add a few keywords
2) suppress a few compilation warning due to outdated backquoting
convention, and use of global variables where local (let (...) ...)
would have been a better option
3) correct bug on filling strings : now scilab.el detects whether the
string delimiter is ' or ", and use the same delimiter when breaking a
string to fill it
4) add a function to mark functions, and corresponding key binding C-M-h
5) recode partly the scilab-shell function for it to use the same coding
as emacs shell command.

Now, I have tried, unsuccessfully, to launch scilex -nw from Emacs as a
subprocess (note that this is working neither with the original version
of scilab.el, nor if I launch "scilex -nw" from a bash shell (with
MSWidows MSYS environment), nor even if I launch "scilex -nw" not from a
cmdproxy.exe MSDOS console inside Emacs, but only from the real cmd.exe
MSDOS console of MSWindows.

What happens is that the scilex -nw remains pending as if it was waiting
for something. I am suspecting that internally it behaves like a windows
application (I mean with an MS Windows mailbox) and is waiting for some
MS Windows event on the Window API.

What as changed since the version used by A. Vigodner back in 2002 ?

Is there some command line option to pass to scilex for it to be usable
as a slave subprocess ? Is there some proxy application (similar to
cmdproxy.exe for cmd.exe) that could be used instead of scilex ?

Best regards,
    Vincent.