Leaving SVN to GIT

Barry Cardiff barry.cardiff at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 23:57:17 CEST 2008

Hi,
I'm not a regular contributor to this dist list, and in fact only discovered
scilab a couple of weeks ago so feel free to ignore my feelings on this
subject - I do however have 15 years experience in software development and
have used many version control tools along the way.
I'm hoping to use scilab and to help with its development, but I'm concerned
about this potential move to GIT for a number of reasons:
- I, like many potential developers, am a windows user and am very happy
with SVN (i.e. tortoise SVN) and don't wish to learn yet another version
control tool.
- Why? lets face it, many of us have worked on large software projects (as
big or bigger than scilab) using SVN with no problems, - its track record is
very impressive - the same can't (yet) be said for GIT. I feel that there
should be a very compelling reason to move away from SVN and right now I
don't see one.
- OK, haven't not use a distributed version control system, I'm guilty of
not fully understanding the work flow - but I can't help thinking that its a
bit over-the-top and will lead to mass confusion.

What we need prior to making a firm decision on this is a document that
clearly illustrates the desired work flow, pointing out how GIT enables this
work flow and how SVN doesn't. Further to this a discussion on you vision
for the future work flow is also necessary.

Barry