[Scilab-Dev] Re: Re: Leaving SVN to GIT

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre.ledru at scilab.org
Tue Sep 30 16:45:29 CEST 2008

Le mercredi 24 septembre 2008 à 19:36 -0300, Jonathan Blanchard a
écrit :
> I do believe that git shift the
> difficulty of working with a distributed revision system from the
> projects managers toward the users and collaborators.
Hmm, most of the developers of Scilab are working closely at the INRIA.
We see each others every day. Therefor, shifting the difficulty upon the
dev is no big deal.

To detail why we need it, I can take an example how it is working now.

At the moment, almost all the team & contributor are working on the
current trunk.
However, we have some people who are working on cleaning up and
rewriting some functions in the  elementary functions module.
These modifications are risky, therefor, we don't want to include them
in the trunk but we want to be able to take modifications (on this
module) from the trunk and merge them into this branch. For this, each
night, an email is sent to the guy in charge of this to check if the
modification on trunk/elementary_functions should be incorporated in his
branch.

It is a boring work and it is common to forget things...

We intend to address this kind of issue.

We also expect to develop collaborative works (ie, some guys working on
a distinct branch and pushing in the master their work once it is good
enough).