[Scilab-Dev] Re: Re: Leaving SVN to GIT

Jonathan Blanchard BlanchardJ at ieee.org
Tue Sep 30 17:25:22 CEST 2008

First It's true that I do not know the amount of contribution from the
community out of the INRIA. Indeed If external contribution are rare
it will not affect people too much.

Now on the other hand I really do not see how git will fix the problem
you just said. Commit are still made either to branch or trunk in git.
The model is not that different from svn you need to manually shift
around and merge stuff between branches and trunk. (Well that is the
way I see it). I mean each modification from the trunk will either be
fully merged on the branches or merged manually by selecting which
modification get merged into branches. Git work somewhat the same way.

I do not try to discourage your choice. I mean at the end it's
your(Scilab dev team) concerns and this could be more of a
philosophical debate but I do often use the svn repo as I'm coding
from the trunk and the idea of dealing with git is a bit discouraging.
Especially the type of work flow and repository structures git
encourage. Or maybe it's just me who fear changes :) (Or most of
Linus's opinions....).

Jonathan Blanchard