Nelder - Mead Algorithm

Collette Yann ycollet at freesurf.fr
Fri Apr 10 17:01:06 CEST 2009

Look OK for me.
The thing very important to me is to be able to initialise fminsearch
with our own simplex.
fminsearch has not such a functionnality and if inputs variables have
very different scale of variations, then the initial simplex, as created
by fminsearch, will be degenerated.
The Kelley restart is a plus. It allows to accelerate in some cases the
convergence of the nelder and mead method.

The optimization method implemented in my simplex-2.0 toolbox is a
little bit special. It allows to "record" the state of the simplex and
stop to ask the user to do a computation.
With the step_nelder_mead, all the call to the objective function are
done by the user.
With the optim_nelder_mead, you ship the objective function to the
method and optim_nelder_mead call by himself the objective function

I will add somes tests in the simplex-2.0 toolbox. I've got a lot of
test problems ...

YC