[Scilab-Dev] Blank graphic windows...

Bruno JOFRET bruno.jofret at scilab.org
Mon Jan 5 10:46:06 CET 2009

Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :
> Hello Jonathan,
>
> Le mercredi 31 décembre 2008 à 16:10 -0400, Jonathan Blanchard a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to create a Solaris package for Scilab
> Great, I like this idea! Don't hesitate if you need help on this.
>
>>  and everything work
>> except I get a blank window when plotting. Java raise no exceptions
>> which mean that all the required libraries are found. I get a blank
>> window if I try a plot command once, If I do the plot command again
>> without closing the window the curve get displayed but not the axis.
>> If and only if I resize the graphic windows and then hit redraw the
>> full graphic get displayed.
>>
>> Any insight on this situation?
> Seems to ben an OpenGL issue.
> I will try to reproduce this issue next week on my Solaris.
> Maybe Solaris needs the graphic to be refreshed.
>
> Sylvestre

Hi Jonathan,

We are using a "GLJPanel" (a swing openGL component) to display scilab
graphics : plot3d, plot ...
Unfortunately this component uses some high level OpenGL primitives that
are not fully supported depending on the OS / Video Card / ... you are
using.

There is an alternative component "GLCanvas" (AWT + OpenGL) you can use
to render Scilab graphics. You can dynamically activate this component
through Scilab using "usecanvas"

--> usecanvas(%t)
Will force the use of "GLCanvas" for plot rendering.

--> usecanvas(%f)
(default) Will use "GLJPanel" for rendering if it's not in our "black
list" architecture.

_BUT_ the use of the "GLCanvas" will disable some capabilities such as
mixing plots and uicontrol for instance. That's why it's not the default
behavior.

Please try this option and let us know if it solve your issue.

Moreover we are pretty interested in some further information on your
platform such as your video card model, OS version, window manager, the
  scilab version you are using, a.s.o ...

Thanks for Using Scilab ;-)

--
Bruno JOFRET