potential problems with Scilab's uicontrol

StŽéphane Mottelet stephane.mottelet at utc.fr
Fri Nov 13 07:50:06 CET 2009

Hi all,

Since I am currently evaluating if it is worth uising Scilab's
uicontrols (instead of Tk widgets), I would like to warn the
Scilab team that these uicontrols have a strange non-standard
behavior (with respect to any gui system) : once an
uiconcontrol has been created, i.e. :

f=gcf();
h=uicontrol(f,'style','frame');

the "position" field of the uicontrol changes each time the figure is
resized.
I am sorry to be so crude, but I cannot imagine that people who have
decided that uicontrols should behave this way have ever programmed
any serious gui :-)

The problem is very simple : the origin of the screen coordinate system
(the one for uicontrols) should be on the upper-left corner of the window
(this is the case in Matlab).
In Scilab, it is  located in the lower-left corner : this makes all the
stuff very tricky and/or unusable as an alternative to Tk.

hth

S.