[Scilab-Dev] Oh scilab!what a beaut you are you are if only you'd build without the war

bv bvl at btconnect.com
Mon Nov 15 15:16:30 CET 2010

On Friday 29 October 2010 10:47:08 bv wrote:
> On Friday 29 October 2010 05:58:23 Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> > Le vendredi 29 octobre 2010 à 03:28 +0100, bv a écrit :
> > > Greetings,
> > >

> > > I   am atempting  to compile scilab-5.2.2 on  a machine with these:-
> > > ---cpu-amd64 2 cores
> > > ---o/s CBLFS linux (64-bit only) compiled from sources kernel-2.6.32
> > > ---numerical progs: atlas3.9.26,lapack-3.2.2 and umfpack~co
> > >

> > > I have  umfpack and co in /usr/local/numerics
> > > rt [ ~ ]# ls /usr/local/numerics/lib
> > > libamd.a  libcamd.a     libcerbla.a   libcolamd.a   libcxsparse.a
> > > libldl.a libumfpack.a
> > > libbtf.a  libccolamd.a  libcholmod.a  libcsparse.a  libklu.a
> > > libspqr.a rt [ ~ ]#
> >
> > Usually, Scilab is expecting some dynamic libraries to build correctly.
> > [...]
>
> ....ehm here is the home of SuiteSparse
> http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/SuiteSparse/

After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing I think I have found a resolution.  AND it
does net seem to be related to  having shared libraries.

In a nutshell, Scilab-5.2.2  seems to require the now ageing components of
SuiteSparse-3.4.0 and I was using the new{er/est} components.  (The latter for
example  has  UMFPACK-5.5..0 with at  least one  source file umf_cholmod.c (or
some such) not in the UMFPACK  in the  ageing  SuiteSparse-3.4.0.).

This is the narrative:-

-- I compiled both shared libraries and static libraries of the new components
and   the scilab-5.2.2  configure script failed  complaining it cound not find
umfpack.h

--I    set CPPFLAGS to point to the OLD (i.e. as in SuiteSparse-3.4.0)
umfpach.h  with NEW  (i.e. from UMFPACK-5.5.0)  libumfpack..a and   the
configure script generated Makefiles and a successful scilab-5.2.2 build
resulted

--I rebuilt SuitSparse-3.4.0     with both sharedlibs and static libs  AND
the Scilab-5.2.2 configure script failed with shared libs but  the build
succeed with static libs.

perhaps you shoud update  scilab  upstream so that  the newer components of
SuiteSparse  can be used.

sincerely
bv