Oh scilab!what a beaut you are you are if only you'd build without the war

bv bvl at btconnect.com
Fri Oct 29 04:28:57 CEST 2010

Greetings,

I   am atempting  to compile scilab-5.2.2 on  a machine with these:-
---cpu-amd64 2 cores
---o/s CBLFS linux (64-bit only) compiled from sources kernel-2.6.32
---numerical progs: atlas3.9.26,lapack-3.2.2 and umfpack~co

I have  umfpack and co in /usr/local/numerics
rt [ ~ ]# ls /usr/local/numerics/lib
libamd.a  libcamd.a     libcerbla.a   libcolamd.a   libcxsparse.a  libldl.a
libumfpack.a
libbtf.a  libccolamd.a  libcholmod.a  libcsparse.a  libklu.a       libspqr.a
rt [ ~ ]#

rt [ ~ ]# ls /usr/local/numerics/include/umfpack.h
/usr/local/numerics/include/umfpack.h
rt [ ~ ]#

---------------My first promising  run  of configure resulted like so:-
checking for cblas_dgemm in -lcblas... yes
Atlas found
checking if LAPACK is available...
checking for cheev_... no
checking for cheev_ in -llapack... yes
Library -llapack found
checking suitesparse/umfpack.h usability... no
checking suitesparse/umfpack.h presence... no
checking for suitesparse/umfpack.h... no
checking umfpack.h usability... yes
checking umfpack.h presence... yes
checking for umfpack.h... yes
checking for suitesparse/umfpack.h... (cached) no
checking for umfpack.h... (cached) yes
checking for umf_divcomplex in /usr/local/numerics/lib... checking for
amd_info in -lamd... no
configure: error: libamd: Library missing (Cannot find symbol amd_info). Check
if libamd (sparse matrix minimum degree ordering) is installed and if the
version is correct

I then recompiled umfpack+co ensuring that  -m64 -fPIC  was  to compiler flags
for ALL  the components.  No build errors were reported.

---------------However on running configure again,  the following results:-
Atlas found
checking if LAPACK is available...
checking for cheev_... no
checking for cheev_ in -llapack... yes
Library -llapack found
checking suitesparse/umfpack.h usability... no
checking suitesparse/umfpack.h presence... no
checking for suitesparse/umfpack.h... no
checking umfpack.h usability... no
checking umfpack.h presence... no
checking for umfpack.h... no
configure: error: Cannot find headers (umfpack.h) of the library UMFPACK.
Please install the dev package (Debian : libsuitesparse-dev)

I have compiled other programs such as  octave-3.3.52/53, numpy/scipy (recent
versions)  and had no difficulties  using the setup I have. Accordingly
guidance of where I am going wrong with scilab-5.2.2 would be apprecated

sincerely
bv