[Scilab-Dev] Oh scilab!what a beaut you are you are if only you'd build without the war

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre.ledru at scilab.org
Fri Oct 29 06:58:23 CEST 2010

Le vendredi 29 octobre 2010 à 03:28 +0100, bv a écrit :
> Greetings,
>

> I   am atempting  to compile scilab-5.2.2 on  a machine with these:-
> ---cpu-amd64 2 cores
> ---o/s CBLFS linux (64-bit only) compiled from sources kernel-2.6.32
> ---numerical progs: atlas3.9.26,lapack-3.2.2 and umfpack~co
>

> I have  umfpack and co in /usr/local/numerics
> rt [ ~ ]# ls /usr/local/numerics/lib
> libamd.a  libcamd.a     libcerbla.a   libcolamd.a   libcxsparse.a  libldl.a
> libumfpack.a
> libbtf.a  libccolamd.a  libcholmod.a  libcsparse.a  libklu.a       libspqr.a
> rt [ ~ ]#
Usually, Scilab is expecting some dynamic libraries to build correctly.
[...]
> ---------------However on running configure again,  the following results:-
> Atlas found
> checking if LAPACK is available...
> checking for cheev_... no
> checking for cheev_ in -llapack... yes
> Library -llapack found
> checking suitesparse/umfpack.h usability... no
> checking suitesparse/umfpack.h presence... no
> checking for suitesparse/umfpack.h... no
> checking umfpack.h usability... no
> checking umfpack.h presence... no
> checking for umfpack.h... no
> configure: error: Cannot find headers (umfpack.h) of the library UMFPACK.
> Please install the dev package (Debian : libsuitesparse-dev)
You should have a look in the config.log to see what is the actual error.
(go at the end of the file and go up before the list of variables).

or try with --without-umfpack

> I have compiled other programs such as  octave-3.3.52/53, numpy/scipy (recent
> versions)  and had no difficulties  using the setup I have. Accordingly
> guidance of where I am going wrong with scilab-5.2.2 would be apprecated
Octave and numpy are different software than Scilab...