[Scilab-Dev] Oh scilab!what a beaut you are you are if only you'd build without the war

bv bvl at btconnect.com
Fri Oct 29 12:58:03 CEST 2010

On Friday 29 October 2010 10:50:48 Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> Le vendredi 29 octobre 2010 à 10:47 +0100, bv a écrit :

> > > Usually, Scilab is expecting some dynamic libraries to build correctly.
> > > [...]
> >
> > ....ehm here is the home of SuiteSparse
> > http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/SuiteSparse/
> >
> > and as far as I know  all its components  are built using the UFconfig
> > utility AND static libs are  the default.
> > If anyone on list knows  how to  to hack UFconfig or use say cmake to
> > generate shared libs  for the SuiteSparse components
> > please let me know.
>
> Debian & Ubuntu packages are built using these patches which enables the
> shared lib build:
> http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-scicomp/suitesparse.git;a=tree;f=debian/patche
> s;h=0ac060b2a39ad6586040ef42f2a9bb8b733a7980;hb=fcdd9cd529c01240b8e014d329c
> 0089afd2e8cf3

thannks  for the link.
A cursury glanch at the patches suggest they may well be a tad on the old side
and  are heavily skewed towards C  (and probably i386 )  ( I am unsure in any
of them   are patucularly useful here. )

And from  my  modest  understanding of BLAS,  it seem the best BLAS   and
other linear algebra progs are in fortran.  I also  find   fortran shared libs
dont do too  well on  machines built on C-shared-libraries/ldconfig.  So is it
not best to   stick to blas-fortran-libs/static-linking especially in these
days when 4-16 gbytes of ram are commonplace?

Also here is a link on BLAS benchmarks
http://www.ats.ucla.edu/clusters/common/software/libraries/blas_benchmark.htm

 Taken into account all the expert advice and wanting the best performance, I
have designed my system (regarding application of BLAS) to:-
--use pure 64-bit  libraries
--use gfortran for blas
--use acml  where this is possible

could I put thse on the wish llist for  future version of your excellent
program scilab.?