Scilab5.3 SSE3

Eduardo Tarasiuk eduardo at softwork.co.il
Fri Jan 7 06:52:14 CET 2011

*This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(r) Pro*
Hello,

This week I downloaded the Last Scilab 5.3 version compiled with the
SSE3  commands.
According to my very preliminary performance tests for the commands I
checked, I can see that the improvement is amazing, even better than in
Matlab.
My question is, why this binary is not the default to be downloaded ?

If the source is unmodified, different builds, in order to receive the
best possible performance (IMHO) is very recommended, and can give
Scilab a push over other Mathematical tools.

SSE3 for every modern existing CPU,  and SSE4.2 for the i3,i5,i7 and
Xeon55XX, Xeon56XX  on both Windows and Linux will give a considerable
performance  improvement to Scilab, and is only a different build (i.e.:
compilation flags) keeping the same central source untouched.
I think that to the most of the users there is no important from where
the performance comes : 1] Algorithm Improvement 2] Compilation Flags,
isn’t ?

   Thanks

          Eduardo Tarasiuk