[Scilab-Dev] SEP 67: lines(0) default

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre.ledru at scilab.org
Thu Jun 30 10:47:27 CEST 2011

Le jeudi 30 juin 2011 à 10:22 +0200, Serge Steer a écrit :
> Le 29/06/2011 16:46, Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :
> > Hello,
> >
> > Here is a proposal for Scilab 5.4.0.
> > To sum up, we would like to have lines being to set to 0 by default in
> > Scilab.
> > To make sure we can go back to the previous behavior, we add a new
> > argument to lines: lines(-1)
> >
> > As usual, don't hesitate to comment.
> > Sylvestre
> >

> I do not agree to disable the line control by default, many times I was
> obliged to kill a Scilab session because after I have disabled the line
> control  I mistakely asked for the display of a huge matrix. In such
> case the display can take several minutes....
>

> But it should be a good idea to have a default value for the number of
> lines larger than the number of  lines currently visible in the console.
> (let say about 3 or 4 pages)
In the last few releases of the 5.3.X family, console performances have
dramatically improved. It is less an issue than it used to be...
However, I understand your point. While 3 or 4 pages seems a bit small,
we could consider a bigger value here (10 or 20)... and this value could
be configured in the future Scilab Preferences.