mentoring for GSOC2012

Ricardo Fabbri rfabbri at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 04:12:18 CEST 2012

Dear core Scilab developers,

I would like to work with you in your GSOC 2012 efforts as a mentor.
I could help with mentoring one or more of the ideas already in your
ideas page, or
could even propose to mentor
on image processing-related functionality (SIP) or graphical/GUI
improvements (mainly interactive plot editing).

I have recently started as a full professor at the Polytechnic
Institute of the State University of Rio de Janeiro,
where we have a comprehensive undergraduate, masters and doctorate
program in computer engineering and computational modeling,
with plenty of capable students and resources.

This new position as a professor/researcher has been extremely
positive for my free software projects, specially for SIP+Scilab, as I
have been able to devote significant time and resources to this. My
research group is not using Matlab.

I am also teaching a Matrix Analysis graduate course and Numerical
Linear Algebra undergraduate course, both using Scilab.

I already have at least one potential GSOC2012 student to work in
SIP-related functinality. She has already compiled Scilab from source
and performed the basic familiarization to the source code.

In addition to the above efforts, I am one of the founders of the
LabMacambira.sf.net
team of free software developers, which has a number of capable students
that I could try to bring in to Scilab. The team has contributed to a
number of open source projects beyond Scilab+SIP:
http://wiki.nosdigitais.teia.org.br/Lab_Macambira_%28English%29#Projects_and_Activities

As most of you know, I have been involved with Scilab for more than 12
years, and I would be glad to be of help in your GSOC efforts.

Looking forward to hearing back from you soon,
as this is the last week for student applications.
Ricardo Fabbri
--
Linux registered user #175401
www.lems.brown.edu/~rfabbri