[Scilab-Dev] mentoring for GSOC2012

Ricardo Fabbri rfabbri at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 17:11:17 CEST 2012

Hi, the previous email was malformed. Please discard it and consider
the following email instead.

=================

Dear Sylvestre,

> Sure! This could be great. What kind of subjects would you like to
> propose ?
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012

I am willing to work on one of the projects on the ideas page, however I would
be most effective, as you know, in working with a SIP or image processing
related project. One idea I've already detailed for GSOC would be to interface
the Leptonica C library (from Google) with Scilab

http://wiki.nosdigitais.teia.org.br/GSoC#SIP

There are also many other ideas for improving SIP. One of them is to add more
OpenCV functionality, beyond the simple ones I've already added recently. Other
SIP-related ideas are listed in the todo page:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/taskfreak/siptoolbox/public.php

I could also work on a project related to improving the GUI for more interactive
plot editing. I have already posted on this before:

"I would like to start off playing with the
graphics branch to test and improve image-related things. Then I could
also try to improve the graphics UI part, to make plots more
interactive with data (clicking + deleting a curve, clicking +
obtaining data from a curve, etc)."

Basically, improving things like tooltip functionality, and actual
adding/deleting of plot
elements, inspecting values, etc, both in 2D and 3D. This basically means
treating the scilab graphic window as a vector graphics, through an editing
interface, and then being able to get the data back in scilab. This idea can
also specialize to the case of image display. We want a fast image display, but
also a flexible one, where pixels can be inspected, edited, and displayed with
custom markers, all of which are very useful for developing and debugging
imaging algorithms. A powerful interactive GUI is one of the main things that
makes Scilab stand out from, eg, python and octave in their current form.

However, as I said, I can help mentor one of the projects in the ideas
page. Most notably:

- QHull interface
- PDE module
- PDF generation
- CUBLAS and other CUDA features
- contextual menus, progress bar
- Graphic I/O of vtk, protobuf, etc

Let me know which of these you prefer I go for.

Best,
Ricardo.

Ricardo Fabbri
--