working with two branches

Ricardo Fabbri rfabbri at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 07:14:51 CEST 2012

Hi,

I have a fairly stupid question.

Suppose I'm working on two branches, say master and graphic.

Everytime I switch between the two using git checkout, I have to do:

make distclean
./configure
make
make doc

This is quite stupid if one wants to do it frequently. How do you devs
work with the different branches?

I saw these articles on the wiki:

wiki.scilab.org/My%20Way%20to%20play%20with%20master%20and%205.x%20branches
wiki.scilab.org/GIT%3A Moving between the master and a branch

So the only idea seems to actually have two separate repository
snapshots (git clones).
One way would be to git clone from my own local repository "A" onto a
second one "B".
So in tree B I'd keep in branch graphic, and in tree A I'd keep all
branches (mainly the master branch).
Then I can always push from B to A when I want to have the full
revision tree, make pushes, merges etc.

Any more ideas?

I like the CMake style where you can have multiple binary directories
for the same source tree.
So like if the source tree is 'scilab', I can have 'scilab-master-bin'
and 'scilab-graphic-bin' with all objects, binaries etc,
without cluttering with the source.

Best,
Ricardo Fabbri
--