[Scilab-Dev] working with two branches

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre.ledru at scilab-enterprises.com
Wed Apr 11 07:51:40 CEST 2012

Le mercredi 11 avril 2012 à 02:14 -0300, Ricardo Fabbri a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I have a fairly stupid question.
>
> Suppose I'm working on two branches, say master and graphic.
>
> Everytime I switch between the two using git checkout, I have to do:
>
> make distclean
> ./configure
> make
> make doc
>
> This is quite stupid if one wants to do it frequently. How do you devs
> work with the different branches?
We have a directory for each branch. It is way easier to manage ...

> I saw these articles on the wiki:
>
> wiki.scilab.org/My%20Way%20to%20play%20with%20master%20and%205.x%20branches
> wiki.scilab.org/GIT%3A Moving between the master and a branch
>
> So the only idea seems to actually have two separate repository
> snapshots (git clones).
> One way would be to git clone from my own local repository "A" onto a
> second one "B".
> So in tree B I'd keep in branch graphic, and in tree A I'd keep all
> branches (mainly the master branch).
> Then I can always push from B to A when I want to have the full
> revision tree, make pushes, merges etc.
>
> Any more ideas?
>
> I like the CMake style where you can have multiple binary directories
> for the same source tree.
With automake/autoconf, it is called Vpath.
It is not working for now because it cannot find the data (the macros
basically) and the changes are too important.
See:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2010-02/threads.html#00014

Sylvestre Ledru
Operation manager