[Scilab-Dev] Fwd: Optimization

Jean-Pierre Dussault Jean-Pierre.Dussault at Usherbrooke.CA
Fri Nov 16 00:34:16 CET 2012

Reposted with pdf figure instead of too big scg

JPD

-------- Message original --------
Sujet: 	Optimization
Date : 	Thu, 15 Nov 2012 18:27:47 -0500
De : 	Jean-Pierre Dussault <Jean-Pierre.Dussault at Usherbrooke.CA>
Pour : 	dev at lists.scilab.org

Hi all,

I am preparing examples for an optimization course for students in image
science. I use an example from
http://www.ceremade.dauphine.fr/~peyre/numerical-tour/tours/optim_1_gradient_descent/
to promote the use of better algorithms than the simple gradient descent.

I attach the convergence plot of the norm of the gradient for 5 variants
of the optim command: gc unconstrained, gc with bounds [-%inf,%inf], gc
with bounds [0,1], gc with bounds [0,%inf] and nd. I also include the
gradient descent.

Except for the [0,%inf] variant, the solution has all components
strictly in [0,1] as displayed here:

    -->[max(xoptS),max(xoptGC),max(xoptGCB),max(xoptGCBinf),max(xoptGCB0inf),max(xoptND)]
      ans  =

         0.9249840    0.9211455    0.9216067    0.9213056 1.0402906
    0.9212348

    -->[min(xoptS),min(xoptGC),min(xoptGCB),min(xoptGCBinf),min(xoptGCB0inf),min(xoptND)]
      ans  =

         0.0671743    0.0718204    0.0678885    0.0714951 0.0772300
    0.0714255

On the convergence plot, we clearly see that the gradient norm of the gc
with [0,1] bounds stalls away from zero while with no bounds or infinite
bounds, it converges to zero. This is even more severe for the variant
with bounds [0.%inf], which no more approaches the solution, making
virtually no progress at all after some 30 function evaluations.

Is it a Scilab bug or a bad example for the gcbd underlying routine? The
cost function is strongly convex of dimension 65536. Has someone
experienced a similar behavior?

This is unfortunate since I wish to convince my students to use suitably
constrained models instead of enforcing constraints afterward.

Thanks for any suggestion to work around this troublesome situation.

JPD