[Scilab-Dev] Enjoy Scilab and Python - Binding Scilab and Python - SciPyLab

ierturk ierturk at ieee.org
Wed Aug 20 04:07:03 CEST 2014

Scilab is a powerful computing platform for engineers and academicians.
Python has many scientific tools. While I look for a tools for binding
Python and Scilab for a project, I found one on ScilabForge.

    Sciscipy: A Scilab API for Python

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with recent version of Scilab and Python
under Windows. The original was coded as pure C extension.

Whatever, I decided to simplify it for my purpose. At the moment, the
simplified code is sufficient for my purpose. However, it will be developed.
Initial version was uploaded onto BitBucket as Git repository.

Installation and Usage are as follow,

    Clone git repository onto your computer from

    https://bitbucket.org/ierturk/scipylab.git

    Start a command window, then go to root of your local copy, and issue
command below

    python setup.py buid_ext --inplace

    Open your favorite Python console then issue commands below

    >> from SciPyLab import Scilab
    >> sci=Scilab()
    >> sci.<any Scilab function>

for example

    >> sci.sin(3.14/2)
    >> sci.plot([1, 2, 3])

The code tested under following condition

    Python 3.4 (Anaconda Python distribution from Continuum Analytics)
    Cython 0.20.2
    Spyder 2.3.0
    MSVC 2010 Express
    Scilab-5.5.0