[Scilab-Dev] Functions with long names, compatibility between scilab 6 and 5.x

contact at pierre-vuillemin.fr contact at pierre-vuillemin.fr
Fri Jul 10 10:06:56 CEST 2015

Hello all,

I have developed a set of tools to ease the process of writing
optimisation problems (it helps mainly to write linear constraint
matrices but can also directly put simple optimisation problems like 1,2
or inf norm problem into standard forms) and I have tried to package
them as a toolbox.

I use the yasp branch of scilab as I tend to use long
variables/functions names, yet sometimes it is a bit challenging to
debug my code as scilab simply shuts down.

That is why, I have tried to use the stable version to debug, but I have
run into some problems during the "building" and execution of my tools :

- the first point is not really an issue, just a question:  with the
stable version, the routine "genlib" used during the building phase of
the toolbox produces 2 files : "lib" and "names". This does not seem to
be the case with the yasp version? Will the "names" file disappear in
scilab 6?

- more important: the long names of my functions are an issue with the
stable version. In particular, "genlib" generated binary files with full
names, and the "names" file contains also the full names of my
functions. Yet during the execution, scilab calls the functions with
their truncated names, which obviously does not work.
It there a clever way to handle the problem other than truncating the
names of the binary files?

Best regards,

Pierre Vuillemin