[Scilab-Dev] Regarding tooltps in uitable

Rishubh Jain rishubhjain at ymail.com
Thu Jun 2 22:43:55 CEST 2016

Hi,
Thankyou for inputs,
I have blogged my results :http://batcode17.blogspot.in/2016/06/tooltips.html
Please suggest if its upto the expectation or what modifications should I make.
Thanking YouRishubh

    On Thursday, 2 June 2016 11:58 PM, Samuel Gougeon <sgougeon at free.fr> wrote:

 Hello,

Thanks Rishubh for your proposal.

Le 02/06/2016 15:56, Clément David a écrit :
> Hi Rish,
>
> I guess the simpler proposal is the better, from a user point of view :
>
>> 1)  "no value" : no tooltip is displayed
> Simply use the empty matrix scilab symbol [] for empty or none representation.
>
> ```scilab
> o = uicontrol("table", ...);
> o.tooltips = []
.
.tooltips expecting a string, IMO "" would even be clearer than
providing a constant and less specific type [].
But both could be supported.

>> 2)  "values" (special flag): The value of each cell is tooltiped when overflying it.
>> This mode is required to ensure that the contents of too narrow cells can be fully seen without
>> editing the cell.
.
Definitively yes. This proposal will be able to automatically update
.tooltips when modifying .data.
Exactly what is needed, and the best way to avoid discrepancies.

> This is a corner-case that can be easily implemented in a generic way. To display all the values as
> tooltips, implement something like :
>
> ```scilab
> o = uicontrol("table", ...);
> o.tooltips = o.data;
>
> ```
>
>> 3)  "TT":  where TT is a matrix of strings of .strings size: When overflying the cell(i,j), the
>> tooltip's content is the        TT(i,j) content + \n + the cell(i,j) content.
> Again this seems to be complex and hard to understand by the end user. Using a string matrix will
> allow a simple definition of what a tooltip is. Ignore the empty string "" to let the user undefine
> a tooltip for a specific cell ; othewise any string value might be used as a tooltip.
Yes, finally i rather agree with this. The first idea was to have a
"cumulated" mode (entries + comment) as the default.
But being able to set only a comment would be better. If we want to
display entries as well,
doing a element-wise .tooltips = comment + .data will be very simple,
and more customizable:
if we want entries in heading lines instead of trailing ones, .tooltips
= .data + comments will do i.

> ```scilab
> o = uicontrol("table", ...);
> o.tooltips = ["tooltip for (1,1)" "tooltip for (1,2)" "tooltip for (1,3)"
>                "tooltip for (2,1)" "tooltip for (2,2)" ""]
>
> ```
>
> Thanks for any remarks,
I was somewhat wondering about the way the heading line and column will
be declared when needed,
and then where (in .data($,:) and .data(:,$), to be rendered in (1,:)
and (:,1)). But finally, even them could
need some tooltips. No reason to exclude tooltips for them.

Hoping to read other comments soon,

Samuel