[Scilab-Dev] Regarding tooltps in uitable

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Thu Jun 2 23:54:43 CEST 2016

Rishubh,

IMO, your initial "values" flag was a clear one. "~" is less clear. Why
not "=" ?  I am not kind of "~" (that means "similar" that is "more or
less equal"). A detail.
Could you confirm that your implementation for the case 2) updates
.tooltipstring when .string is modified?
Case 3): i do not think that
ut.tooltipstring = "[a,b,c,d]"
instead of ut.tooltipstring = ["a","b","c","d"]
or
ut.tooltipstring = "[a,,c,d]"
instead of ut.tooltipstring = ["a","","c","d"]
would be clear enough. "[a,b,c,d]" could be easily interpreted by users
as [content_of variable_named_a, ... etc], as if eval("[a,b,c,d]") had
to feed .tooltipstring
Putting only a few non-empty strings in the whole table could be done
with TT=emptystr(.string); TT([pos1 pos2 pos3..]) = ["tt1 "tt2" "tt3"...];

What's you opinion about

  * a way to make uitable displaying tooltips only for cells not wide
    enough? IMO, it would be useful, but a difficult task, depending on
    the font properties, and whether LaTeX is used or not, etc...
  * a way to make uitable displaying values in tooltips only for chosen
    columns? could be done with a row of indices of chosen colums to be
    tooltiped?
  * a way to make uitable displaying values in tooltips with lengths
    above a given threshold given as a single number?
    With restrictions: not applicable to LaTeX inputs ; not taking into
    account the font properties ; etc

Will you test the efficiency of the implementation with big .string and
.tooltipstring arrays?

Best regards
Samuel