[Scilab-Dev] Scilab does not start properly after make install on Ubuntu 16.10

E_Ben erik.benkler at ptb.de
Thu Feb 16 17:53:21 CET 2017

Hi Clement,
since I still cannot resolve the problem, I try to be as precise as possible
in my decription of what I did:

1) As you recommended, I did a clean build of scilab again (although I had
actually done that already before). Here is what I did in a terminal,
starting in a new, empty folder ~/scilab_build:

git clone -b master --depth=1 git://git.scilab.org/scilab.git
~/scilab_build/scilab_master
svn --force checkout --username anonymous --password Scilab
svn://svn.scilab.org/scilab/trunk/Dev-Tools/SE/Prerequirements/linux_x64/
~/scilab_build/scilab_master/scilab
cd ~/scilab_build/scilab_master/scilab
./configure --without-modelica
make

2) I think the building process itself is not the problem, because I can
successfully start the scilab gui from the build folder by typing "scilab"
in the folder ~/scilab_build/scilab_master/scilab/bin/    -> scilab starts
as expected in gui mode. There are two processes running: scilab and
lt-scilab-bin
The folders BWidget, tcl8, tcl8.5 and tk8.5 are present in
~/scilab_build/scilab_master/scilab/modules/tclsci/tcl/

3) However, when I install scilab in the Ubuntu tree by typing

sudo make install

and run scilab from anywhere in the tree, and as any user, by simply typing
"scilab" on the prompt, it starts the two processes scilab and scilab-bin
(without lt-), but no gui opens. The backtrace is the same that I posted
already in this thread.
The folders BWidget, tcl8, tcl8.5 and tk8.5 are missing in
/usr/local/share/scilab/modules/tclsci/tcl/
which is probably part of the problem. Hence, I copied the 4 folders there
and set permissions to 644 as done by make install with the other files, but
that also didn't help. It seems that make install does not copy all required
files to the proper places? Because in the build path
(~/scilab_build/scilab_master/scilab), all required files seem to be
present, because it works when started from there.