[Scilab-Dev] Scilab does not start properly after make install on Ubuntu 16.10

Clément David clement.david at scilab-enterprises.com
Tue Feb 21 18:18:41 CET 2017

Hi Erik,

> 3) However, when I install scilab in the Ubuntu tree by typing
>
> sudo make install
>
> and run scilab from anywhere in the tree, and as any user, by simply typing
> "scilab" on the prompt, it starts the two processes scilab and scilab-bin
> (without lt-), but no gui opens. The backtrace is the same that I posted
> already in this thread.
> The folders BWidget, tcl8, tcl8.5 and tk8.5 are missing in
> /usr/local/share/scilab/modules/tclsci/tcl/
> which is probably part of the problem. Hence, I copied the 4 folders there
> and set permissions to 644 as done by make install with the other files, but
> that also didn't help. It seems that make install does not copy all required
> files to the proper places? Because in the build path
> (~/scilab_build/scilab_master/scilab), all required files seem to be
> present, because it works when started from there.

Nice catch, this is probably the issue. In the current binary version, we copy the prerequirements
after the make install. You have to do so on any local install.

I never use a local install build to check but prefer to use a locally packaged version without
Scilab prerequirements but packaged dependencies instead OR a local build (in the git directory)
with Scilab prerequirements.

IMHO we can add special prerequirement copies on `make install` to ease developer life and simplify
local install. Could you open a bug on it please ?

Thanks for the information,

--
Clément