[Scilab-Dev] Scilab 6.0.0 has been released !

Eric Dubois grocer.toolbox at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 09:27:12 CET 2017

Thanks for this great achievement and for asking our opinion on Scilab
future.

For me the priority should be to improve execution speed, which lags behind
state of art similar software, in particular since Julia (
http://julialang.org/), which is a valuable competitor for the kind of
applications I develop, has been released.

Almost as important, it should be urgent I think to make readxls work with
Excel versions beyond 2003: yes, you can always save an Excel file created
in recent versions into an Excel 2003 one but a) it is still less
straigthforward than importing directly the original file b) it prevents
automatic treatment, such as importing automatically data from internet
each time they are updated and running automated treatments on them.

Two less important avenues:
- updating the mfile2sci program, which has some shortcomings and which has
not been updated to more recent Matlab releases;
- making toolboxes developped over time by various Scilab developpers work
with Scilab-6.0.0 (for instance Xls link that does insatll properly even
with Scilab 5.5.2).

Best regards

Éric