[Scilab-Dev] ?==?utf-8?q? Scilab 6.0.0 has been released !

Antoine Monmayrant antoine.monmayrant at laas.fr
Mon Feb 20 09:56:40 CET 2017

Hi,

Thanks for this good news.
I think ironing out the most annoying bugs (like comments stopping code execution from scinotes) is crucial now that 6.0 is out of beta.
That being said, I see the following as major improvements for the next version to come:
- improve the help content. That's were Scilab is really behind comparable softwares (octave, matlab, ...). Most of the time, the help page for a given function looks more like some notes hastily taken by someone who already know how to use the function instead of a proper help page.- make uman part of scilab by default (I already briefly discuss this with Samuel). When one uses scilab in the command line, having a decent help system in the command line is key.
- uicontrols: there is a lot of work to do. The help pages are really terrible and confusing. Try 'help layout' to see what I mean: I had to browse java help pages to try to understand what the differences are between the different layouts and how to tune them. There are many bugs, missing functionalities and incoherences related to uicontrols.
- better/new graphic export functions. As such, it's almost impossible to export in a vectorial format (svg, pdf or eps) a graph containing a complex contourf or grayplot. Could we get a hybrid export: bitmap for the complex grayplot embedded in a svg/pdf/eps file where all the rest (axes, labels, ticks) are vectorial?
- transparency support in graphics: again, what can be achieved with scilab cannot compete with matplotlib and the likes.
- proper debug & breakpoint support in scinotes.

That's all I can think of for the moment.

Cheers,

Antoine