[Scilab-Dev] doc: <xi:include xpointer=".."/> inclusion

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Thu May 31 12:06:07 CEST 2018

Hello Clément,

Le 29/05/2018 à 21:40, Clément David a écrit :
> Hello Samuel,
>
> After some trial and error as well as debug session to track the issue, it seems that the underlying
> xpointer implementation (Xerces from JRE) does not support the id syntax. To clarify none of the
> following works (from http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/ModularDoc.html):
>
>   <xinclude href="..." xpointer="id_of_the_element"/>
>   <xinclude href="..." xpointer="element(id('id_of_the_element')"/> <!-- id is not supported -->
>   <xinclude href="..." xpointer="xpointer(/id_of_the_element)"/> <!-- xpointer is not supported -->
>
> Only the fragile (I fully agree with you):
>
>   <xinclude href="..." xpointer="element(/1/2/3)"/> <!-- path to the element -->
>
> Initially I tried to push this usage to restructure the Xcos help pages while preserving the content
> and setup the JKFLIPFLOP.xml and associated JKFLIPFLOP_content.dbk with this idea. The path approach
> is acceptable in my case as the content will always be structured.
>
> If you wish to share content, another option is to import the whole dbk document using xinclude or
> to fallback to the ENTITY DTD declaration as in the master xml file.

Thanks for your input.
If i well understand your answer, upgrading the Scilab support of
<xinclude> to a 2003 release
is either not relevant, or not applicable, or would not extend xpointer
usages.
It is rather disappointing, but ok, i am taking note of it.

The workarounds that you indicate at the end are not clear to be. I must
spend additional
time to see what's possible, test things, and if it's actually
worthwhile to go this way versus
time to maintain/update such a documentation structure.

Regards
Samuel