installation problem Scilab 5.0.3

Joseph F. Deck jfdeck at rcn.com
Sun Nov 23 06:53:16 CET 2008

Hello,
When I try to install the Windows binary of Scilab 5.0.3 (the
file: scilab-5.0.3.exe), the installation of many files appears
to go normally.

At the end of the installation, I get a Windows error message.
Summarizing, the error is:
	SetupAtlas.exe - Application Error
	Illegal Instruction 0xC000001D at location 0x0040101B
The installation then terminates normally, without any installer
error message.

If I try to run Scilab, I get a similar error at a different
memory location:
	WScilex.exe - Application Error
	Illegal Instruction 0xC000001D at location 0x00401033

The computer is Windows 2000 SP4. Since the first message seems
to suggest that the problem could be related to Atlas, maybe I
should also say that the CPU is an AMD Athlon. It is several
years old... I think from 2001.

I was able to run Scilab 4.1.2 on this system without any issues.

Does anybody have any ideas about this problem? I have searched
extensively but cannot find any reference to it. This is not the
graphics issue related to plotting that some people have had...
the error is immediate when starting wscilex.exe. The console
window never appears at all.

Many thanks.