Inexplicable result with scilab 5.0.2 and matrix multiplication

Christoph Dittmann cd at dittmann-arheilgen.de
Mon Oct 13 23:32:56 CEST 2008

Hi,

I've got a problem with scilab 5.0.2. It seems to print certain values
wrong. The following example shows the problem:
-->M = [1,2;3,2]; C = M^(-1)*M
  C  =

     2.           1.110D-16
     1.110D-16    2.

This is what I get with scilab 5.0.2 on Ubuntu 8.04 (x86) using the
precompiled version from http://www.scilab.org/download/ . My problem
are the 2's on the diagonal since I've no idea where they come from.

With scilab 4.1.2, the one from the Ubuntu 8.04 repository, I get what I
expect:
-->M = [1,2;3,2]; C = M^(-1)*M
  C  =

     1.           1.110D-16
     5.551D-17    1.

Some further calculations with scilab 5.0.2 show that the problem seems
to lie in the printing of the result and not its actual numerical value:
-->x = C(1,1)
  x  =

     2.
-->x * 2
  ans =

    2.
-->x + 0.01
  ans  =

     1.01

Could that be a bug or did I just miss something crucial?

Thanks,
Christoph