[scilab-Users] [scilab-users] stack size

Francis Drossaert Francis.Drossaert at pgs.com
Tue Apr 27 11:22:54 CEST 2010

I found that I can set the maximum to approximately 1GB - 1MB i.e. stacksize(1023*1024*1024) on my 8GB Linux machine. Going over that Scilab just crashes. With previous Scilab versions I only could get 256MB. Believe it or not, regularly I needed a bit more than that. However when using this maximum I found the help function does not work very well or makes Scilab crash. This might also affect or Scilab functions (probably the editor too etc). So perhaps it is good to leave some headroom.

To avoid setting the stacksize manually every time you can make a text-file called .scilab with the line stacksize(512*1024*1024) and put the file in your /.Scilab/.scilab-5.2.2 folder in usually your home directory. This file is executed in the beginning every time Scilab starts.