[scilab-Users] Question about max. vector length and scilab limits

michael.baudin at scilab.org michael.baudin at scilab.org
Mon Dec 6 22:11:40 CET 2010

 Hi,

 In "Programming in Scilab", you may find a part of the answers that you
 are searching for:

 http://forge.scilab.org/index.php/p/docprogscilab/downloads/

 The section 2, "Variables and memory management", describes the current
 stack of Scilab v5. The size of the maximum dense matrix of doubles
 derives from this. The maximum stack size in Scilab v5 is 2.1 GB. This
 corresponds to a 16 384-by-16 384 dense matrix of doubles.

 A matrix of 17 000 doubles easily fits into Scilab, provided that we
 set the size of the stack to a consistent value. Did you run
 stacksize("max")?

 The maximum number of characters in a variable (or function) is 24. But
 your questions go far beyond that particular point.

 Best regards,

 Michaël

 PS
 The maximum number of opened files, maximum number of variables,
 maximum number of characters in a line of a Scilab macro, maximum number
 of functions in a gateway, etc... is yet to be determined.