[scilab-Users] Interpreting profiler results

Samuel Gougeon Samuel.Gougeon at univ-lemans.fr
Mon Feb 15 19:20:44 CET 2010

----- Message d'origine -----
De : Mike Page
Date : 15/02/2010 17:50:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how to interpret the output of the profiler?  The nth row,
> second column of the profile output is the time (in seconds I guess) taken
> to execute the nth statement in the function.  if I add up all the time
> given, it is only a small fraction of the time the function actually takes.
> For example, I have a function that takes about 15 seconds to run.
Did you measure it with tic & toc or timer() (<=>cpu), i mean in a
scilab way, or in another way ?
It could be either a matter of lack of doc, or else of scilab unconsistency.
>   The profiler output totals to only 0.015 seconds.

The help page for profile() states that
/systems counts how many time each line is executed and how may cpu time
is spend *for each line execution*.
These data are stored within the function data structure. The profile
function allows to extract these data
and return them in the two first columns/

Did you try to multiply column#1 x column#2 and to add results?
I do not see anything else to try before bug reporting about
undocumented time unit.

Regards
Samuel