[scilab-Users] fminsearchbnd

Michaël Baudin michael.baudin at scilab.org
Wed Feb 17 14:07:04 CET 2010

Dear Carlos,

I assume that you are talking about the Matlab toolbox by John D'Errico.
There is no fminsearchbnd in the current release, but there is the
neldermead
component, which includes a Box algorithm which manages both
bounds and general nonlinear constraints. In your console :

-->help neldermead

Look in the ?> Scilab Demonstrations> Optimization and Simulation>
neldermead/Box A
The Box A problem is an optimization problem with bounds and nonlinear
constraints.

You should have no problem with bounds, provided that the number of
variables is
low : up to 10-20 is a maximum.

A typical alternative is to use the unconstrained fminsearch and to apply
a penalty when x is not in the bounds. A simple scaling parameter might
do the trick, but the scaling obviously depends on the problem, that is,
depends
on the function value.

Best regards,

Michael

PS
Notice that John D'Errico's function is based on variable
transformations, while
Box's algorithm modifies the updating scheme of the simplex.

--
Michaël Baudin
Ingénieur de développement
michael.baudin at scilab.org
Consortium Scilab - Digiteo
Domaine de Voluceau - Rocquencourt
B.P. 105 - 78153 Le Chesnay Cedex
Tel. : 01 39 63 56 87 - Fax : 01 39 63 55 94