[scilab-Users] SOS: Version with Xcos usable for academic teaching??

Nick Rudnick joerg.rudnick at t-online.de
Mon Jun 21 09:30:26 CEST 2010

Hello Sylvestre,

thank you for your mail -- at the moment I can say that in the weekend,
I have tested scilab-master-1276871586.exe quite thoroughly and am so
satisfied that I forwarded it to our students, together with
scilab-master-1276780858_x64.exe, which I am about to test soon.

If I have a choice, I would prefer to assist in fixing bugs at the Linux
builds, which still suffer from problems that prohibit usage -- I
inspected mostly the 64 bit version, but I expect the 32 bit version to
be equally affected, as the error message seemingly is thrown by the
Java frontend.

<http://moodle.uni-duisburg-essen.de/mod/resource/view.php?id=112070>Specifically,
at scilab-master-1276266589.bin.linux-x86_64.tar.gz, I would like to
present the error message I receive -- as I suspect a
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError to be possibly a problem of access to a
native library which might be very easy to solve. It is thrown whenever
I try to drag something out of the palette browser (didn't find this at
Bugzilla):

= 8< =================================
(process:3353): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
    Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Error parsing gtk-icon-sizes string: ''
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
ncsa.hdf.hdf5lib.HDF5Constants.H5_SZIP_MAX_PIXELS_PER_BLOCK()I
    at
ncsa.hdf.hdf5lib.HDF5Constants.H5_SZIP_MAX_PIXELS_PER_BLOCK(Native Method)
    at ncsa.hdf.hdf5lib.HDF5Constants.<clinit>(HDF5Constants.java:33)
    at org.scilab.modules.hdf5.read.H5Read.openFile(Unknown Source)
    at org.scilab.modules.xcos.io.scicos.H5RWHandler.readBlock(Unknown
Source)
    at
org.scilab.modules.xcos.palette.PaletteBlockCtrl.loadBlock(Unknown Source)
    at
org.scilab.modules.xcos.palette.PaletteBlockCtrl.getTransferable(Unknown
Source)
    at
org.scilab.modules.xcos.palette.PaletteBlockCtrl$1.dragGestureRecognized(Unknown
Source)
    at
java.awt.dnd.DragGestureRecognizer.fireDragGestureRecognized(Unknown Source)
    at sun.awt.X11.XMouseDragGestureRecognizer.mouseDragged(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseDragged(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processMouseMotionEvent(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseMotionEvent(Unknown Source)
= 8< =================================

In regard of a tutorial, I am in fact writing at the moment something
which might be regarded as one, 20-30 pages, with economically motivated
examples which should be easy to integrate into lessons, consuming about
2-6 hours of lecture, depending on the students.

Once I can forward working binaries for Linux, too, I will be very
satisfied, and could assist the Tk to JGraphX transition -- here I first
would like to improve the branching of connections.

Seemingly, some (O)Caml code is used inside Scilab... very interesting
stuff... :-)

All the best, and thank you for your reply,

    Nick