[scilab-Users] Problems with building toolboxes

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre.ledru at scilab.org
Sat Jun 26 15:15:17 CEST 2010

Le samedi 26 juin 2010 à 08:01 -0500, ray joseph a écrit :
> That was a great exchange.  I thank everyone for the efforts.  As a new
> user, I would like to understand the process.
>
> This difficulty came while implementing a toolbox.
For your information, we provide a skeleton for module developments.
Under Linux & Mac OS X binaries, it is available here:
SCI/share/scilab/contrib/toolbox_skeleton/

>  This particular toolbox requires a Fortran complier.  Do all toolboxes require a compilation
> operation?
Compilers are required when some compilations are done (C, C++,
Fortran...). If the module is only based on Scilab macros, no need to
have a compiler.
By the way, if a module is available through ATOMS
(http://atoms.scilab.org/ / http://wiki.scilab.org/ATOMS ), the final
user won't need a compiler since we are distributing binaries.

> Is the type of compiler different for each toolbox?
No, under Linux & Mac OS X, the compilation is done by the autotools
(autoconf, automake and libtool) which are (supposed) to abstract the
compiling process.

> How is the compiler requirement communicated to the user?
It is one of the aspect I was referring in my previous message, we improved the feedback under Linux / Mac OS X
(while it was already pretty clear under Windows)

> Being visually oriented, I find graphics very helpful in guiding me through
> processes.  Are there any charts or diagrams that show the work processes
> for the realm of activities in the use of Scilab and Xcos?
I am not sure to understand what you want here ?!
A graphical tutorial ?

Sylvestre

--
Sylvestre Ledru