[scilab-Users] real time image processing

Mike Page Mike at Page-One.Waitrose.com
Mon Dec 19 10:35:47 CET 2011

Hi Alain,

I have successfully used Scilab with a real-time system, though I have not
used Scicos.  I also use Scilab to prototype my algorithms before developing
the "real" system.

Scilab has a built-in system for compiling your own C code into Scilab
functions, but I don't use it.  I just use MS Visual C++ to write the C code
and build it as a DLL.  Then it's quite easy to declare the entry points in
Scilab and call the C functions from within your Scilab code.  There is help
available in the documentation, but it is a bit fragmented and also not all
relevant to the latest version.

Be aware that Scilab can be quite slow, depending on what you are doing, and
it may not be able to keep up with your hardware.  However, I am doing some
quite intensive signal processing and my code runs with a 250ms loop time.

When you get to the stage where you are integrating your C code and Scilab,
just post any specific questions here.  There are lots of people who will
help you.

Good luck,
Mike.