[scilab-Users] C->Scilab: Now I'm lost and need some directions

Antoine Monmayrant antoine.monmayrant at laas.fr
Tue Jan 11 21:32:12 CET 2011

  Le 11/01/11 17:43, Adrien Vogt-Schilb a écrit :
> Le 11/01/2011 17:31, Adrien Vogt-Schilb a écrit :
>>
>> I also find that typing "help api_scilab" does not help me at all
>> right now. And i just understood today (thanks to allan's mail) that
>> toolboxes is the modern way of doing what i do with call.
>
> About that : i find extremely confusing the fact that there is, in
> scilab 5.3, documentation for both old and new scilab APIs, which i
> can still not distinghuish clearly. From my point of view, they are
> both called by a concatenation of "scilab" and "api", and i have the
> impression (which i also believe to be false, but anyway), that some
> pages from the new api are linked to old ones.
I also had the feeling of turning in circles: I started from one bit of
the new api (CheckLHS) and trying to find an example, after a few clics,
I ended up on something that belong to the old api (call)...

> E.g : when i type "help api_scilab" i get in a doc page which includes
> "Straight and named access (See the call_scilab API) to variables.".
> Then i go to call_scilab_API, where an example uses stack-c.h and
> claims this is the old way.
>
> At this point, i decided to wait scilab 6.0, hopping it will come with
> documentation about new api and no documentation about old API, to be
> sure to understand what to do and do it.
Well, I cannot wait that long as I have some data waiting to be
processed and I need to call some hand made C routine for that job...

> i am not willing to complain (i really love scilab) i am just trying
> to provide feedback
Yes, I hope all this does not sound too negative, this is not the
purpose of the discussion.
I am also really happy with Scilab and I always found the user list
reactive and useful.
But for the first time, I did not have any answer that really helped me
going forward.
Crossing fingers...

Antoine