[scilab-Users] scilab java

Clément David clement.david at scilab-enterprises.com
Fri Nov 4 12:04:16 CET 2011

Hello,

Le vendredi 04 novembre 2011 à 10:12 +0000, e-letter a écrit :
> On 04/11/2011, Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre.ledru at scilab.org> wrote:
> >> If scilab 5 requires java, why is it not compiled as a jar file? It is
> >> too difficult to configure.
> > Well, it requires certain skills ;)
> >
> Usually, other java programs are very easy to install. For unknown
> reason, the official build demands that a separate version of java is
> installed, even if the computer already has java. Why?
For scilab stock versions, we maintain a thirdparty repository with libs
supported version. With that we can assert that using a Scilab binary
version has the same dependencies for all of our supported platforms.

Exemple, I use openjdk7 with new features / new bugs / many many
changes. When I found a new java related bug, I can check if it is a
jre7 bug or a Scilab one but reproduce it with the stock version.

> >>  Programmers should consider that other
> >> java software would be installed before scilab.
> > I don't understand your point.
> >

> See above. As an example, installing jedit allows the user to edit the
> executable file to use an existing installation of java. Scilab
> installation does not allow this.

Well jedit has a linux installer, we do not have. Average user just need
to extract the binary tarball and execute bin/scilab. If you need more
customization then build your own Scilab.

> > I am trying once more my question, why are you not using the official
> > binary ?
>
> To repeat, using the command 'urpmi', the installation process
> demanded that java is installed, even though java was installed
> previously to run other java programs. There does not seem to be an
> option to instruct scilab to use an existing installation of java.

It may be a scilab packaging issue, file a bug against opensuse
bugzilla.

--
Clément David <clement.david at scilab-enterprises.com>
Scilab Enterprises