[scilab-Users] scilab java

e-letter inpost at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 12:51:11 CET 2011

On 04/11/2011, Clément David <clement.david at scilab-enterprises.com> wrote:
>> Usually, other java programs are very easy to install. For unknown
>> reason, the official build demands that a separate version of java is
>> installed, even if the computer already has java. Why?
> For scilab stock versions, we maintain a thirdparty repository with libs
> supported version. With that we can assert that using a Scilab binary
> version has the same dependencies for all of our supported platforms.

I do not understand; it does not explain that if the demand to install
_another_ java version before installing scilab is accepted I would
have multiple versions of java installed. This is not logical; if
every java program behaved like scilab, I would need many java
installations!

> Exemple, I use openjdk7 with new features / new bugs / many many
> changes. When I found a new java related bug, I can check if it is a
> jre7 bug or a Scilab one but reproduce it with the stock version.

I have been using ibm java for many years, no bugs founds, stable and
works nicely with all my other java programs (except scilab).

>> See above. As an example, installing jedit allows the user to edit the
>> executable file to use an existing installation of java. Scilab
>> installation does not allow this.
>
> Well jedit has a linux installer, we do not have. Average user just need
> to extract the binary tarball and execute bin/scilab. If you need more
> customization then build your own Scilab.

Jedit has a java installer. Is it not possible for scilab to use a
cross-platform java installer?

>> > I am trying once more my question, why are you not using the official
>> > binary ?
>>
>> To repeat, using the command 'urpmi', the installation process
>> demanded that java is installed, even though java was installed
>> previously to run other java programs. There does not seem to be an
>> option to instruct scilab to use an existing installation of java.
>
> It may be a scilab packaging issue, file a bug against opensuse
> bugzilla.

To clarify this was experienced using another computer using mandriva.
So you are stating that if the installation process demands java is
installed, that if the problem with mandriva, not scilab?