[scilab-Users] scilab java

Clément David clement.david at scilab-enterprises.com
Fri Nov 4 13:47:16 CET 2011

Le vendredi 04 novembre 2011 à 11:51 +0000, e-letter a écrit :
> On 04/11/2011, Clément David <clement.david at scilab-enterprises.com> wrote:
> >> Usually, other java programs are very easy to install. For unknown
> >> reason, the official build demands that a separate version of java is
> >> installed, even if the computer already has java. Why?
> > For scilab stock versions, we maintain a thirdparty repository with libs
> > supported version. With that we can assert that using a Scilab binary
> > version has the same dependencies for all of our supported platforms.
> >

> I do not understand; it does not explain that if the demand to install
> _another_ java version before installing scilab is accepted I would
> have multiple versions of java installed. This is not logical; if
> every java program behaved like scilab, I would need many java
> installations!

Well, binary version *IS* binary version. We consider the JVM as
mandatory for this binary version so we provide it. Your remark also
apply to blas / lapack implementation. We ship the original
implementation, which is far less performant than more modern ones
(ATLAS, GOTOBlas, MKL) *BUT* if someone wants better performance, then
compile a specific scilab version with specific dependencies.

This is package maintainer job (distro responsibility) to provide this
version not upstream one.

> > Exemple, I use openjdk7 with new features / new bugs / many many
> > changes. When I found a new java related bug, I can check if it is a
> > jre7 bug or a Scilab one but reproduce it with the stock version.
> >

> I have been using ibm java for many years, no bugs founds, stable and
> works nicely with all my other java programs (except scilab).
>

> >> See above. As an example, installing jedit allows the user to edit the
> >> executable file to use an existing installation of java. Scilab
> >> installation does not allow this.
> >
> > Well jedit has a linux installer, we do not have. Average user just need
> > to extract the binary tarball and execute bin/scilab. If you need more
> > customization then build your own Scilab.
> >

> Jedit has a java installer. Is it not possible for scilab to use a
> cross-platform java installer?

> >> To repeat, using the command 'urpmi', the installation process
> >> demanded that java is installed, even though java was installed
> >> previously to run other java programs. There does not seem to be an
> >> option to instruct scilab to use an existing installation of java.
> >
> > It may be a scilab packaging issue, file a bug against opensuse
> > bugzilla.
> >

> To clarify this was experienced using another computer using mandriva.
> So you are stating that if the installation process demands java is
> installed, that if the problem with mandriva, not scilab?

We guarantee software useability on the binary version. If you install
something with a package manager, fill any bug on distro bugzilla. If
you are able to reproduce on binary version, fill a bug on scilab BZ.

--
Clément David <clement.david at scilab-enterprises.com>
Scilab Enterprises