[scilab-Users] saisonality in time series

Charles Warner cwarner.cw711 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 05:11:59 CET 2011

Another trick I have found that greatly reduces FFT noise it to temporarily
mask any localized "spikes" in the data (such spikes, with a narrow
temporal profile have a very broad spectral distribution).  One can also
try to eliminate any offset by subtracting the mean (or the geometric mean
or harmonic mean- the appropriate mean would be dictated by the nature of
the data).  This should hopefully reduce the scale of the FFT amplitude,
making it easier to spot any (especially low-frequency, or seasonal)
potential frequency components.